We all want to be excellent in many ways. However, when it comes to excellence, it’s not merely the dreamers who win but those who dream and do something about their dreams.
There are many ways to pursue excellence. Below, I share a few sure-fire ways.
1. Focus: Focus, Focus, Focus.
You cannot become excellent in many things. Life is short. Prioritize and focus your efforts on what really matters and work at it until you become a master.
What is the best area to focus on? The area of your calling. To help with your focus, write your dream down and make it plain and read it frequently.
2. Passion: Relentlessly pursue love.
Passionately learn to love every day. Love is the root of the kind of passion that you need to do anything good. You need to be passionate about what you desire to be excellent in. Without that, you won’t go very far. The good news is that you can learn to love. Passion doesn’t have to be a happenstance. You can intentionally develop a passion for pretty much anything you want.
3. Mindset: Believe that you can.
Everything is possible to the person who believes. The only thing that stands between us and our success is our mindset. What we believe is what we become. The good news is that you can learn to believe in something. Faith is something you can develop. Faith is like a muscle, you can grow it.
4. Mindset: Believe that your dream is necessary.
Believe that it is necessary to become excellent in your subject because lives will be changed and a positive impact will be made. Think about the posterity, about the potential lives you can change when you develop excellence in the area of your calling.
5. Mindset: Believe that you must become excellent.
Because there is a lot riding on your decision to become excellent in an area, believe that you must achieve that dream, not only for yourself but for everyone who will be impacted by it now and in the future.
6. Be hungry.
If you want to be excellent in anything, be hungry. Develop an insatiable desire for excellence in that area.
7. Eat Voraciously. Eat, Eat, and Eat again!
Devour any source of information or instruction you can find on the subject. Learn without ceasing.
Here are some effective ways to pursue knowledge and understanding on any subject.
- Read everything you can read on the subject of interest.
- Go where leadership is taught. Go to conferences, take classes, listen to videos and tapes, go to churches or synagogues where the subject is taught.
- Approach leaders who are ahead of you and ask them questions. Identify a leader you want to learn from and seek to buy them lunch and have the opportunity to ask them a few questions. Let them know you simply need 45mins to an hour of their time. You are not seeking a mentor or any commitment after that.
8. Work hard, endure, and never quit.
The best way to learn anything is to do it. Believing that you can without actually doing something about what you believe leads you nowhere. Work hard and never give up till you accomplish your dream.
9. Discipline yourself.
Nothing significant can be achieved without great discipline. All successful people understand that discipline is the way to greatness. Learn to discipline yourself to focus on your task.
10. Surround yourself with the right people.
Nothing great can be achieved alone. Surround yourself with people who can help you on your journey toward excellence.