“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” – Aristotle
Excellence is within the grasp of each of us. However, it doesn’t come for free. There is a price that each of us must pay to cultivate excellence and mastery in anything we desire to.
Below, I share four things which I believe are the greatest determinants of excellence and therefore success.
- Focus – Razor blade focus on one or a few specific things is the greatest determinant of success. Every person that has been excellent at anything has had to focus and put in the hours to develop excellence.
- Passion – Passion, specifically grit – which is passion and perseverance is another huge determinant of success. You have to passionately love what you do if you are going to be excellent at it. Passion will give you the fuel that you need to go as far as it will take to achieve excellence. Without it, excellence will be only a dream.
- Mindset – We are the product of our thoughts. Our mindset is the paradigm or lenses through which we see the world.
- Teachability – It’s better to be teachable than to have a high IQ. Teachable people will go further in life than people with IQs ten times higher who are not teachable.
- Self-Discipline – Without it, we cannot succeed at anything.
For more on the above points. Read my article titled EXCELLENCE: How to become excellent in anything